Thursday, December 30, 2010

Book review: Manifest by Artist Arthur


My summary:
Krystal is 15; her parents recently split up and Krystal now lives together with her mum and stepdad in small town where her mother spent her childhood. Krystal is very depressed and is longing to see her dad, in the belief that everything will be ok once she is with him.

Weird things happen to Krystal and she has to make some choices besides sitting in her room all day feeling sorry for her self. Krystal can see and her ghosts and one of them needs her assistance. Actually this kind of thing has happened to Krystal when she was younger but she denied it ever happened and pushed away the memories. At school two weird kids is trying to persuade Krystal that they need to have a talk, it looks like Krystal isn’t the only gifted kid in her high school.

A storm is coming and both the power and the dangers lurking in the dark seem to increase with the weather.

My thoughts:
Manifest is the first book in the Mystyx series, I cannot say that I fell in love with this first book but I throughly enjoy it. I mean with ingredients like mysterious new friends, dark creepy fog, supernatural powers, a couple ghosts and a first kiss that will give you the feeling of butterfly-wings in your 15 year old stomach - what's not to like?

The writing doesn't always flow all that easy due to too much and confusing weather information at times. That being said Artist Arthur did a great job creating creepy scenes that made me feel a little chill down my spine, that happened more than once actually.

The main character Krystal is just too depressed to care about anything, and understandably so, but she just annoyed me so much at times. Luckily that changed during the story but I prefer to have a good relationship with the MC from the very beginning of a book.

Krystal had people issues but all of the sudden she had somehow connected with two of her fellow students of the supernatural kind, Jake and Sasha. That made me wonder if I've missed something in the story where the characters bonded, it felt a bit unrealistic(same goes for the the part where she thought she fell in love with a ghost). Still I somehow managed to look past this and the author did a good job with the plot and managed to keep me interested in the story.

The next book in the series Mystify(Mystyx #2) will be released January 25th 2011, the main character in this novel will be one of Krystal's friends, Sasha. I've heard rumors that the next book is even better :)


The Book trailer:

The cover:
It's very pretty plus I like that they have added Krystal's special mark.

My rating of this book:
3 stars out of 5

Want a second opinion? Check out these reviews written by some of my book blogging friends:
Marie Loves Books
Giving Reading a Chance
Bookworming in the 21st Century 
Book Rat


Manifest(Mystyx #1) by Artist Arthur
Published: August 2010
Pages(hardcover):  256
Publisher: 
Harlequin Enterprises, Limited
ISBN:
 037383196X (ISBN13: 9780373831968)
Full disclosure: ARC received from
Harlequin via NetGalley. 

This book can be purchased from a number of local retailers and on-line book stores such as Amazon or The Book Depository (I'm not an affiliate of either). The latter store does by the way have free shipping to about 100 countries.  

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun read! great review

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm, oh no, I go hmm, that is a sign that I just can't make up my mind. It is in the maybe corner

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, I had the same issues. I could not like Krystal at all. I thought the boy was better. Then the writing, there was something off about that too. Great review.

    I went on reading it because I wanted to know what it was all about.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts =)